Thursday, January 19, 2012

Should I Sell or Part Out a 1992 Car?

Car: 1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse FWD, Non-Turbo



Bought it for $1400 a week ago, ran good, new clutch was installed



Inexperienced son ruined the clutch, and probably the synchro for 1st and possibly 2nd gear.



$550 for new clutch installed

$400-500 for synchro kit, and $300-400 for labor: $700-$900 for new synchros.

A used tranny wouldn't cost much more



Could also use tires, and rear brakes, but to just get it working again it would cost $1250-1450.



KBB value is $1100, but if everything worked right I could easily sell car for $1700-1800.

Engine works fine (123,000 miles), and no other problems with the car, only problem with parting it out is that nobody I know could take out an engine or remove body parts properly, so it would have to be self removial which would limit the customers, and also their money.



Whats the value of this car with a bad clutch and tranny?

How would I get max value out of this car with my situation? I can't pull a lot of major parts, ecspecially the ones that would get me the most money.Should I Sell or Part Out a 1992 Car?
I would part it out, craigslist or ebayShould I Sell or Part Out a 1992 Car?
Call the salvage yards and see what they will give you for the car, my guess would be a couple of hundred at the most. Parting a car out is always problematic, this one isn't rare or in high demand so you aren't going to get a lot for the parts and you could be sitting on an eyesore for a year before your got enough money out of it to justify doing it in the first place. The only other option would be to just sell the car to someone who is willing to rebuild the trans and put a new clutch in it, you might get 500 for the car that way.

1 comment:

  1. It is a nice information. Shared your experience about the car. It is really good to see your blog. First you need to decide How to Value Used Car in the markets. Car conditions must be good and should have all documents related to car. You can use some of the branded clutch which will give good life to your car.

    ReplyDelete