Thursday, January 19, 2012

Trade In A Car For Another Car?

I have a 2007 Toyota Sequoia. I want to trade it in for a new car, around the same price, maybe cheaper (KBB.com values it at $24,500.) However, I still want a big-ish car. Anything from a crossover and up in size.



What would you guys recommend? (By the way, I prefer a higher-quality used car than a lower-quality new car; In example, I'd rather a used Lexus than a new Kia.)Trade In A Car For Another Car?
Remember that your trade-in is worth the difference between what you owe and what it's worth in trade. Assuming you own it free and clear, that's $24,500. Assuming you still owe $24,500, that's zero.



I personally like used cars that are 1 or 2 years old, still well within manufacturers warranty, so you have no risk of getting stuck with someone else's problem or unexpected repair bills soon after you buy it. $24,500 is probably not quite enough for a big-gish 1 or 2 year old luxury crossover or car (but it would still get you a 3 or 4 year old smallish one, BMW 3 series, Lexus IS, Audi A4, Mercedes C, soemthing like that). Again though, I like the warranty, and those cars are small.



If you want a sedan, maybe something like a 2008 or 2009 Acura TL? A little bigger car than your options in the most upscale brands in that price range, still an upscale brand, still a lot of warranty left, etc.



If you want a "crossover and up", you're trading what you have for something very similar to it, and you always lose money doing that. You have to ask "why". That said, I'd pick a 2010 Mazda CX-9.



Good luck!Trade In A Car For Another Car?
I have an Acura MDX and I like it. I was the same as you, I wanted a nicer 07 than a 2010 Kia. I got mine at Carmax. Their website is really good for finding cars, too.Trade In A Car For Another Car?
Test drive a few models that appeal to you. See what fits and what you like about it and take time to compare a few different models. What is it you like? You know better than anybody can tell you.
How about a used Lexus?

No comments:

Post a Comment